Thursday, November 3, 2011

Another activity tracker -- Jawbone UP!



Yes! Another tracking device to track my daily activities.  Jawbone started selling the UP bracelet .. it tracks your daily activities .. I still use my BodyMedia Fit armband .. that thing is glued onto my arm for 23 hours a day.  But I can't always wear that to go everywhere.  The UP is a bracelet which comes in several colors .. I chose the black simply because I can match it with my outfits and not make it look like a tracking device.  

The UP bracelet:
  • Tracks your movement - daily activity and tracks calories burned - it vibrates to remind you to move when you have been inactive for a certain amount of time (which can be set)
  • Tracks your sleep - it is also a sleep tracker -- and you can set the bracelet to "alarm" (vibrate) during your lightest REM stages in the morning so you wont feel groggy. 
  • Track your meals - the iPhone app has an photo journal where you can take a picture of what you eat and how it makes you feel. 
Unfortunately, the bracelet only works with the iPhone/iPad/iPod touch.  But from what I have been reading from the company website .. they are working on an Android application as well.

I'll be working out at the gym tomorrow with both my BodyMedit Fit armband and UP bracelet .. and will do a comparison on how accurate the calorie burn is between the two.

More info on the UP bracelet by Jawbone - http://www.jawbone.com/up

Follow me on Twitter: @KensWeightLoss
Like me on FB: www.facebook.com/kensweightloss





3 comments:

  1. Looks cool. I'm glad you were able to get your UP early. If you want to network with other UP users, check out our online community at IHeartUP.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really trying to come up with a good reason to buy the product because it looks really great but I can't come up with a single reason. Basically it can do three things:

    1) Measure exercise
    2) Create a food journal
    3) Analyze sleep

    The problem is that Nike and Runkeeper measures exercise for free. There are also a free app to create a food journal. Lastly the sleeping-part is just pseudoscience since you need to analyze brainwaves to be able to track REM. There are already posts on their own forum claiming untrue stats. If you want it anyway there's free apps doing the same thing. Besides all these you need to connect Up to your iPhone to sync.

    Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin,

    To answer your questions .. This device would probably be those who like the simplicity of having to measure the amount of exercise, food journal, and sleep analyzed in one device. I would say this device isn't for the person who exercises everyday .. they can just use an app for that. But this device I believe helps kick start those who want to get into fitness.

    I myself use the BodyMedit Fit armband .. and I can swear by that device since it gives me the most accurate readings of calories burned and steps taken.

    You can read that review here -- http://kenweightloss.blogspot.com/2011/09/bodyfit-media-review.html

    The analyzing sleep part .. its a good way to see roughly ideally how many hours you are sleeping..

    Some devices work for people and some don't .. its just another way of tracking fitness and giving one some motivation to keep on doing it.

    I actually wore my BodyMedia Fit armband and the Jawbone Up bracelet today at the gym .. and also compared it to the treadmills counter. I will post a blog posting up soon.

    I hope this helps make your decision into what helps you.

    Thanks for reading!

    -Ken

    ReplyDelete